Friday, February 1, 2013

Small confession

Confession: for at least the last week I've purposefully gone back to sleep in the mornings until most of it is gone because I have no idea what to do with it.
 Sad. yes. Pathetic. I know.
I do know that there are things I could do (like exercise, read, practice guitar, cook extravagant meals...) but I don't really think about that when I wake up. All I think about is how I have nothing on my agenda for the day and that's too much time to fill by reading 3 different news pages online, so I go back to sleep. Now that I've confessed, maybe this will be the start of longer/more full days for me. Indeed, I actually didn't do this today. I was woken up at 9 by my friend Alycen, who is staying at our house for a day or two, calling me because she locked herself out of our house. So I was up at 9 and decided the best thing to do was to just stay up (especially since I wasn't really tired. I usually am quite awake when I first get up, but then go back to bed anyway).

I decided to finally make some soup that I have been meaning to make for a long time now. I had all the ingredients and had set out the pot several days ago to remind myself to make it. It was just going to be a basic veggie soup in chicken broth, such as I have made before, but with the addition of some soup mix I bought (the kind with lentils and alphabet shaped noodles...). I pieced together what the package said and my prior experience with making soups and came up with, what sounded like, a good plan. Cook soup mix, when it's almost done throw in chopped veggies. Yum.
Yeah, it didn't quite turn out like that.
The soup mix absorbed a whole lot more liquid than I expected, and between it and the potatoes it made more of a stew-like gloopy-ness instead of a broth-y soup. It doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't taste really good either. And that's the grand accomplishment of my waking up at a reasonable time. Though I did have 2 thoughts based on this whole experience:
1. It's at times like this that I'm glad I'm not married. There's no husband who has to dutifully eat this soup-paste and pretend it's really good. No one has to eat it but me, and I don't have to pretend it's any better than it is. And hopefully when there is a husband expecting a good dinner I'll have soups down a little better.
2. Sometimes things really just don't turn out as expected. (shocker!) But that's life and that's half the fun of it. If everything turned out like expected I imagine life would be pretty boring. I much more enjoy a good surprise. Ok, maybe not always at the time, but i don't like always knowing what's coming next. So, while I'm not really glad that my soup turned out like gloop, I am glad it got me to write a blog post. (I'm sure most of you thought I died somewhere in the last 3 weeks...)
So, here's to the unpredictability of life. Maybe tomorrow my morning productiveness will be a little more tasty...

1 comment:

  1. You should have just added some more water...just a little tip for next time...

    Did you ever do that thing we talked about the other day (involving the very-long-distance phone call?)

    ReplyDelete