Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkins!

I have really out done myself this year with the pumpkins.

Carving pumpkins is really my favorite part of Halloween. I just have come to love it for some reason. I have enjoyed the last few years making my own pumpkin patterns (at least somewhat) and this year I got all sides of the creative spectrum. One Kyle and I made completely free hand, one I took an idea from a picture online, and one I printed out and carved fancy pants style (I added the shadow to it though...) I love them all. Let's go through one by one shall we...

I call it: Crazy face with a "BOO" shadow. Creative name, I know. If you get your computer screen at just the right angle you might be able to actually see the "BOO" on the wall.
So, my friend Kyle needed a date for a double date with his friend, and knowing that I'm a fan of pumpkin carving he asked me to join them. We had a pretty big pumpkin, with really thick walls, so we went easy and big cuts. We drew this all on our own. We wow-ed the socks off of the other couple with the shadow. We even put 3 candles in it so the shadow showed up on the wall 3 times at different angles... "Science!"

This is
 "Totem Pole Tiki Face"

He was carved based off a couple different designs I saw online. 
My friend Abby got this awesome idea last Halloween to create a pumpkin totem pole that would have a nozzle in the mouth of the top pumpkin that would spit flames. The closest we could come this year was creating a totem pole by stacking 4 pumpkins up a fence post, then balancing the 5th one on top, putting a can with kerosene soaked wick in it, and lighting it on fire. We put a little ethenol on the top to try to make the flames blue, but it didn't really work. But it looked amazing anyway! I don't have a picture of the whole totem pole, but the carvings were (from bottom to top) a moon sliver, an eagle silhouette (think Native American), a jack-o-lantern face, and a haunted house. We realized later how cool it would've been to put the flame several pumpkins down and light them all up with the fire, but I kinda liked the foot tall flames out the top.















And the 3rd and final entry I call: Avengers: Unite!

If you can't tell what it is, it's Captain America in the shillouette of the Hulk with the Avengers' A on the wall. It was pretty darn neat. The problem was the pattern for the Captain/Hulk carving was definitely meant for a larger pumpkin, so some of the details got lost... along with part of the Hulk's fingers and the Captain's head. But don't worry, we found them and I reattached them with toothpicks. And you might notice the picks in the back holding the A pieces in place. The other thing that caused trouble is that this pumpkin was very very thick. I spent a long time thinning it out and still was carving through too much. So when I would try to carve away extra stuff to get a clear picture it would tear some of the more delicate features. Like the Captain's head... But it all came back together and looked fabulous on our front porch. 

It was a pretty fun Halloween season. We didn't do much tonight. Half the evening was spent with people just watching me carve my pumpkin, but that's ok. As a bonus I'll show you a couple shots of my costume. "I'm a Hufflepuff!"
I saw a bird once!

My name is sewn into all of my clothes!

I'm a Hufflepuff!
If you have no idea what is going on, I suggest you watch this. Even if you do, I still suggest watching this:

No comments:

Post a Comment